Ads 468x60px

Updates

Saturday, January 2, 2010

Thoughts on the Rose Bowl

Well the Oregon Ducks lost to Ohio State in the Rose Bowl.  Just a few quick thoughts:

  1. Ohio State's defensive line controlled the game from the outset.  Oregon just couldn't get their running game going for big plays.  Or control the line for the passing game.  It happens and unfortunately this just wasn't the right game to have this happen.
  2. Conversely, Ohio State's O line was able to get the running game going.  I don't think either team played exceptionally well but in the end Ohio State made the plays to win.
  3. Jim Tressel going outside his norm.  Taking chances and being aggressive in his play calling.  Came out throwing the ball more than usual and caught Oregon off guard.
  4. Oregon went a little conservative.  I didn't see some of the plays I have seen all year from the Ducks in games.  Where did those plays go to?  Was it that the front 4 for Ohio State controlled the line that well?  I don't know all the game planning so I will refrain from criticizing too much what happened in this game.  I just know I didn't see as wide open an offense I had seen in the past.
  5. The fumble out of the back of the end zone by Oregonwas a killer.  When that fumble occurred that really was a killer.  Most likely Oregon goes into the end zone and then just needs a field goal to win the game.
  6. Shots down field.  I don't know again all the game planning but it seemed like Ohio State was moving up focused to stop the run on certain downs.  Check to a play that allows you to take a shot down field.  I think if that had been done, Oregon forces Ohio State to have to pull back opening up the running lanes I think.
  7. Ohio State will be good in the future.  If Tressel lets Pryor play the way he did in the Rose Bowl?  Look out college football cause then Ohio State might have a chance again for the National Championship game.
I am not a college coach so I don't want to second guess too much the coaching decisions.  Like I said these are just my thoughts on the Rose Bowl.  I hope the National Championship game is a good one

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blogger Templates