Ads 468x60px

Updates

Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Platooning

I am sold on platooning at the high school level. At Timpview we platoon and have had success. Now obviously it is going to depend on the school you are at. If I am at a small school where we gotta work to get kids out, I am not going to be able to really platoon. However I think you get the most out of your kids when you coach them up. Also it does depend on your needs but I really think that the more reps your kids get, the better they get. Also if you have kids getting a lot of reps then have to put them somewhere else you can spend time teaching them the new position but they can remember their old position as well with the technique.

While platooning if you work 2.5 hours for practice daily. Your offensive and defensive players get that full practice in getting reps at that position. When the time comes for game my players have spent about 8 hours working on defense and offense. If you don't platoon your players get maybe 4 hours per side of the ball. Our offensive players get the full time to look at different fronts. Our defensive players get looks at formations for the full time.

Last year to a man you ask our coaches why we were able to win region and only lose one game at the sophomore they would say one reason. We platooned our players. We worked them and coached them up. They got better and with all the reps they were able to get better game by game. That is why we started to blow teams out end of the season because our players got better. I know this doesn't apply to all coaches but I know that I favor it. Just some things to think about with platooning.

But again this isn't a system for everyone. We do it and it has been successful for us. If you have your system and it works that is alright. I just wanted to post about my opinion and give some thoughts that others might want to think about. Don't dismiss platooning quickly but look at it and see what it can do for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blogger Templates