Ads 468x60px

Updates

Monday, March 31, 2008

First Season Done

After that first season was over I prepared for the upcoming season. I asked the head coach if I could run the offense this time around and he said sure. I at first thought about running the Flexbone triple option offense but wasn't sure how complicated that would be for youth.

I decided to attend a Nike Coaches Clinic in Portland, OR where I am from and picked up one of Tony DeMeo's books. I liked what he did there so I thought I could do both Flexbone and DeMeo's since the formations are similar. I also love the zone read play so I had a lot to think about. Then I decided to attend the BYU coaches clinic. I spent two hours listening to Coach Doman the QB coach at BYU explain their offense he explained that when they throw they do it so that whatever the defender does is wrong and I fell in love with that plan. I later contacted him and sat down for an hour as he explained what he did with QB's and some of their plays they run. So I decided to do a combo of both BYU and DeMeo's offense.

While at the BYU clinic I ran into Coach Wong again. I told him I never really thanked him for letting the kids in the game and he said no problem anytime you need it let me know. Then he asked where I was coaching this next season. He obviously recognized me from before and I said nowhere right now. He said we might have an opening on the Sophomores get back to me later this month. I remembered from before and knew that I had to be persistent. I contacted him by email but also sent an email to a new coach at another area high school. I wasn't going to put my eggs in one basket. I waited and waited for about two weeks. Then finally I got an email back from Coach Wong that there was an opening on the Sophomore team and to call him about it. I called him later that day and we talked about the opening. He asked me the areas I was strong in coaching position wise and where I was weak. I listed the positions in order and he said "Well I am only looking for a line coach I don't know if you were looking at doing that." I told him oh no I would love to learn how to coach the line it was just my weak point cause I didn't really play line. (Just so everyone knows, I knew that Timpview consistently sends lineman to D1 schools that's why I jumped at the chance, plus they had just won the state title again.) He told me to come by tomorrow for the workouts and we would get everything ironed out.

I went to the school as my work let me go for this meeting, they were supportive of this goal and I appreciate them for that. We met in his office and he explained the schedule and everything to me. After out meeting we went downstairs for the workout for the players. Unfortunately it was raining so I wasn't able to learn much that first day. After running back to work, ok I didn't run but I was so happy I couldnt' stop smiling. I called my father telling him I was gonna coach at Timpview and he said really? He said he was proud of me and that coaching there was the equivalent of starting at Jesuit High school in Portland. Throughout the rest of the next month I would show up for two days a week as I learned the drills that we ran to coach the line.

Now imagine if I had sent that nasty email when I was just angry?

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blogger Templates