Ads 468x60px

Updates

Friday, March 28, 2008

Getting started

So really my story begins about 3 years ago. That was when I first took the real true steps to trying to be a football coach. I was attending BYU and signed up for the Coaching Football class. It was taught by Mel Olson who also co-wrote Football's West Coast Offense. Of course we had to buy his book for the class, but I didn't mind since it is a good read. I recommend anyone to get a copy and you will gain a basic understanding.

The class was a real eye-opener though, never thought of how much went into having to be a coach. One of the things that really stood out most was developing my personal coaching philosophy. Developing a philosophy of what kind of coach I was going to be. What style of offense would I run? What type of defensive coach am I?

I have been asked by some who want to be coaches what they should do to get started. I tell them develop that philosophy first. It will help determine your style and will help you and a coaching staff know if you will mesh.

1 comment:

 
Blogger Templates